FAQs - General
- Eastern Market Murder can be played from anywhere in the world - in your backyard, loungeroom, local park or anywhere you like (offsite).
- If in Melbourne, you'll explore the actual locations where the crime happened (onsite). See "Play in Melbourne" FAQs below.
- Download Eastern Market Murder on the App Store or Google Play and select 'offsite' or 'onsite' to begin.
- Eastern Market Murder is rated 12+ on the App Store and M on Google Play.
- Whilst there is no overly gory content (there is a pool of blood if you enter the crime scene), there are witness descriptions of violence and adult themes of sexism, racism and alcoholism which are unsuitable for younger children. Discretion is advised.
FAQs - Playing In Melbourne
- If in Melbourne, you'll explore the actual locations where the crime happened.
- Download Eastern Market Murder on the App Store or Google Play and select 'onsite'.
- Make sure you have a fully charged device, headphones and a charger. Turn off wifi and apps to conserve battery.
- Head to the Melbourne Town Hall to begin, geo-location is used to guide you between locations so turn on mobile data.
- The game has been designed to take advantage of the excellent bars, cafes and restaurants en route, so allow extra time to re-fuel.
- If you like to plan ahead, you can find a map of all locations here.
- The game takes approx 1.5hr and is a 2.5km walk. Allow extra time to stop for a drink/bite along the way.
- Yes it's fun to play with a friend. If you are sharing a device, headphones are recommended so you could consider a headphone splitter or bluetooth speaker.
- Yes! Depending on your budget, if you have a group of 20+ we can create a custom experience for you. This may include a guided tour with the game developers, additional historical information and/or stopping for drinks or lunch along the way. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
- Occasionally we have hosted events, please join our mailing list or follow us on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter to be kept in the loop.
- We have designed Eastern Market Murder to be wheelchair accessible when playing in Melbourne. See here for a map of all locations and access and mobility maps to help plan your experience.
- There are subtitles for hearing impaired players. Font size can be increased in the settings menu (cog icon).
- There is an in-game tutorial and (optional) hints to help highlight relevant topics to ask as your case file grows.
- If you aren't tech savvy we recommend playing with friends or family to help you get used to the augmented reality.
- Absolutely, K9 companions are the best! Remember your poop bags.
- Yes! We love a good dressup! Please tag @truecrimegames in your photos on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok or Twitter.
- Yes, the game saves your progress as you complete each level.
- You can also switch between onsite and offsite mode, e.g. if you start in Melbourne but don't complete the game, you can close the app and restart from where you left off in "offsite" mode at home.
FAQs - The Story
- Eastern Market Murder is based on a true crime that happened in Melbourne Australia's once thriving Eastern Market. A popular fortune teller was suddenly attacked and her husband violently murdered. It's up to you to piece together the clues, question witnesses and explore the crime scenes to figure out the motive behind the crime.
- We worked with a historical consultant and several desendants of the victims/witnesses in the game. The script was written from witness testimonies, coroners report, newspaper articles and letters written by the victim and the perpetrator. The 3D characters and crime scenes were modelled on their original photographs and descriptions. Locations were chosen based on their historical significance to the case.
FAQs - Troubleshooting
- If Eastern Market Murder isn't appearing on the App Store or Google Play, it's likely your device isn't compatible with the augmented reality software needed to run the game (AR Kit and AR Core). You might need to find a friend to play with.
- If you have downloaded the app but you can't see the augmented reality (AR), make sure you've given camera permission.
- If the AR still isn't working, make sure you're in a well lit area with enough clear space to place the scene. You can reposition the scene in the settings menu (cog icon) at any time.
- If in Melbourne and the in-game map isn't directing you to your next location, make sure you have location services/mobile data turned on.
- Sometimes the GPS takes a while to catch up amongst the tall buildings, if you are where you need to be press the "I'm here" button on the map.
- Please refer to the in-game help section in the settings (cog icon).
- You can submit feedback via the settings menu (cog icon) or email email@example.com