True Crime Games
Based in Melbourne, Australia
6th October, 2019
True Crime Mysteries are a series of augmented reality games that transport players from this world to one shrouded in historical intrigue. Misadventure In Little Lon is the debut game in the True Crime Mysteries series and the first time AR and true crime have been combined into a unique, interactive experience. The game can be played from anywhere in the world. If in Melbourne players will explore heritage sites where the spine tingling events went down over a century ago. Collecting clues and questioning the sinister suspects who lived in the lane ways of Little Lon.
Misadventure In Little Lon is an augmented reality game based on a true crime in Melbourne's notorious red light slum district in 1910. Players investigate the twisted tale of events that led to Ernest Gunter's demise and uncover how his formidable sister, Maud, sought vengeance for his death. A stolen kiss, money owed to the mob, a hired hitman. Are they telling truth or lies? You decide.
- Based on an intriguing true crime from Melbourne in 1910.
- If in Melbourne players explore heritage sites where the actual events went down - self-guided 3km walk or 1.5 - 2 hours play time
- Off site version can be played from anywhere, anytime - no walking required, approx 1 hour play time.
- Collect clues and question the sinister suspects who once lived in Little Lon.
- Find real newspaper articles and artefacts from the Little Lon archaeological dig hidden throughout the game.
- Fascinating narrative story featuring historically accurate complex and colourful characters and a rare insight into what life was like for the people of Little Lon in 1910.
- Featuring sound designed by Melbourne musician Sianna Lee.
- Original and innovative concept - this is the world's first AR true crime game
- If in Melbourne players can explore hidden laneways, bars and restaurants en route while playing Misadventure In Little Lon.
Trailer - 30 sec YouTube
MIGW Trailer - 1 minute YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Winner - Digital Storytelling Award" Victorian Community History Awards, 2020
- "Finalist - Best AR/VR Game" The Australian Game Developer Awards, 2020
- "Honourable Mention - Excellence in Narrative" Freeplay Awards, 2020
- "Finalist - Best AR Game" International Mobile Gaming Awards, 2020
- "2nd Place - VR/AR Game of the Year" Real World XR Awards, 2020
- "3rd Place - Best Augmented Reality Experience" Real World XR Awards, 2020
- "Misadventure in Little Lon is a fantastic and unique use of AR that’s worth the stares of curious passersby. And it really goes to show how deep the well of possibilities is for this technology. We never would have thought to ask for a story-driven, location-based AR game – but now that we’ve tasted it, we’re excited for more."
- Michael Irving, New Atlas
- "The game offers a unique experience that is rarely seen in video games, a chance to journey through an Australian true crime. Incredibly, Misadventure In Little Lon provides exactly what it sets out to offer with fantastic voice acting, dialogue as intriguing as an Agatha Christie novel, drama straight out of Underbelly, as well as telling the spectacular, heartfelt and forgotten stories of the victims.
The storyline offers a dynamic and immersive investigation that will draw in and excite both crime enthusiasts and gamers. "
- Peter @Kreisstopher, Park Ranger Radio
- "Finally an app that gets us out of our homes and traversing our awesome city, learning about the crazy stories that this city was built on. I've learnt more about the true history of this town in a couple of hours than I've known over the past 20 yeras living here! Really love the engagement with the characters and the way the mystery unfolds. This seemed like a stand alone crime but it actually uncovered so much more about the Melbourne underworld than I had any idea about before!"
- App Store User, App Store
Request Press Copy
Please fill in your e-mail address below to complete a distribute() request and we'll get back to you as soon as a press copy is available for you.
About True Crime Games
True Crime Games are creators of augmented reality games based on true historical crimes. Misadventure In Little Lon was the debut game in the True Crime Mysteries series and the world's first AR true crime experience. Their second game Eastern Market Murder, based on a true crime and landmark criminal case from 1899, launched May 2021. Both games can be played from home or at the actual crime scenes in Melbourne, Australia.
More information on True Crime Games, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Misadventure In Little Lon Credits
Designer, Artist, Director
Designer, Producer, Marketing
Screen shots courtesy of New Atlas
Image of Maud Gunter courtesy of Jenny Samms
Historical Images courtesy of State Library Victoria and Melbourne Museum